Friday, June 12, 2009

For my daughter (a work in progress)

Nolie has owned me
From the first time I saw her
She was minutes old

Holding her, crying
Knowing from that moment on
Her back is covered

I had no idea
What real emotion could be
Until she was born

---------------------------------------

Six months old and she
Knows where my credit card is
Boy, I'm in trouble

Learning and growing
She was counting to twenty
before she was two.

Such a proud Daddy
Everyone must admire
She's the Golden Child

-----------------------------------

Then comes the divorce
I am absolutely crushed
To be without her

But she cheers me up
The days that I am with her
She fills up my heart

And I recover
Learn to cherish Daddy Days
Not pine for what's lost

----------------------------------

Giving her music
She gets enough of Barney
With me, it's The Who

Also the Beatles
She sings Eleanor Rigby
Not missing a word

Hard to comprehend
How cool is a four year old
fan of King Crimson?

---------------------------------

Protective Daddy
Scaring crap out of people
No one dares touch her

I know that it's bad
If she can't fend for herself
But I can't help it.

What are Daddies for?
If not to smooth the way for
Their precious daughter?

2 comments:

  1. yours are always sweet
    Lover boy's next on my list
    not as kind as you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, don't tell me
    Comments must be in haiku
    I'm in deep doo-doo

    ReplyDelete